Houston Truck Accident Attorney
Semi-Truck, Big Rig & 18-Wheeler Accidents in Texas
Although any motor vehicle accident can be devastating, collisions involving large trucks tend to be especially destructive. Victims often sustain catastrophic injuries, life-altering impairments or disabilities, and numerous physical, emotional, and financial hardships. Tragically, many large truck accident victims die as a result of these incidents.
If you were injured or if someone you love died due in an accident involving a semi-truck, big rig, 18-wheeler, tractor-trailer, or similar large truck or vehicle, turn to Vaughan Legal Trial Team. Since 2003, our firm has aggressively represented the rights of injured individuals and the families of those wrongfully killed. We have recovered more than $100 million in settlements and verdicts, and we are prepared to protect your rights against the insurance company’s interests.
How Common Are Truck Accidents?
Though they are less common than other types of car accidents, large truck accidents are more common than many people realize.
- 32,562 total commercial vehicle crashes in Texas in 2020
- 414 truck-tractor/semi-trailer accidents in Texas in 2020
- 11 bus accidents (including school bus accidents) in Texas in 2020
Truck drivers and trucking companies are held to a high standard of care. If you or someone you love was involved in a collision with a large truck, you could be entitled to financial compensation. Our Houston truck accident attorney can help identify the liable party and fight for maximum compensation on your behalf.
How Do Most Large Truck Accidents Happen?
Like other motor vehicle accidents, including car and motorcycle collisions, most truck accidents are the result of negligence.
- Truck Driver Error/Negligence: Truck drivers who act carelessly or recklessly on the road put other motorists at serious risk. Examples of truck driver error and negligence include distracted driving, speeding, running red lights/stop signs, making dangerous or illegal turns, driving while intoxicated, failing to yield the right of way, drifting across traffic lanes, merging/changing lanes unsafely, following too closely, and driving aggressively.
- Hours-of-Service Violations/Truck Driver Fatigue: Truck drivers are subject to both federal and state hours-or-service regulations, which govern the number of hours they can drive, as well as the number of breaks they must take during a shift. Truckers who violate these rules by driving for too many hours without rests are at risk of fatigue. Studies have shown that drowsy driving can be equally as dangerous as driving while intoxicated or impaired.
- Improperly Loaded Cargo/Overloaded Trucks: Under both federal and state law, large trucks may not transport cargo that exceeds certain weight limitations. Overloaded trucks can lead to a loss of control, resulting jack-knifing and other types of truck accidents. These types of accidents can also occur when cargo is loaded improperly and/or shifts during transit.
- Improper/Incomplete Truck Maintenance or Repairs: Truck drivers and trucking companies are typically responsible for conducting routine vehicle maintenance. Any issues found during maintenance inspections should be reported and adequately repaired. Failure to conduct proper maintenance inspections and/or repairs can have serious consequences, including devastating truck accidents.
- Trucking Company Negligence: Trucking companies may be indirectly responsible for large truck accidents when they engage in negligent practices. Examples include failing to conduct background checks on truck drivers, failing to adequately discipline truck drivers who violate company policy and/or state or federal laws, and failing to provide truck drivers with sufficient training and/or supervision.
At Vaughan Legal Trial Team, we work alongside accident reconstructionists, expert witnesses, and other industry specialists. This allows us to determine exactly how an accident occurred and, most importantly, who is liable for your injuries and damages. Contact us today to get your free consultation.